Saturday, October 20, 2007

Candle On the Water

I've always wanted this blog to be a place where people who felt as passionately as I did about writing could find a friendly voice. And selfishly, I wanted to learn from others - from their struggles, from what they did with their students. And, of course, I wanted to write with a purpose. So I've changed the look and feel (I hope) of this space to focus on Why Write?

Writing is a passion of mine because there is incredible power in the written word. We send messages that last for ages, manipulate two dimensional words to create multi-dimensional meaning, draft each paragraph until it is exactly what we want to say. We can savor it, rage against it, copy it.

And it can help us find our voice - who we are, what we want to be.

I've always felt that teachers were the lighthouses for our students - inspiring them, lighting the way. I want this blog to do the same thing for the writer inside all of us.

I'll be your candle on the water
My love for you will always burn
I know you're lost and drifting
But the clouds are lifting
Don't give up you'll have somewhere to turn
- Candle On the Water, Helen Reddy from Pete's Dragon

No comments: