Monday, June 25, 2007

Hook 'Em Danno!

"I have been accused of being anal retentive, an over-achiever, and a compulsive perfectionist, like those are bad things."

No - this is not a line from my diary!! Instead it is the first line from Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee. I don't own it yet - but with an opener like that you can bet I soon will!!

And I was hooked from the moment I heard the series of leads from YA literature on my long trek to work today being read on NPR. The complete listing of books and their leads are on the NPR website but even better is the podcast of what I heard!! Can you hear the passion of this librarian??

This is a great set of leads to hook young adult readers - particularly in the summer months when some might have a quota of 25 books to finish by September!! Even better - it is a great set of openers to share with students as they refine how they begin their own stories.

What's your favorite lead?

No comments: