Saturday, September 08, 2007

Treasure Books

Whew! The first week of school is now officially over and somehow - summer has turned to fall. It isn't the weather - I woke up this morning to a very muggy 73 degrees out - but the feeling is definately fall. At least, that is what I have been scribbling about in my treasure book.

I am going to get a new treasure book today - I don't love the one that I picked up years ago to use. It doesn't "speak" to me and make me want to go running to it. Now that I am trying to be more conscious about the decisions I make with my treasure book so that I can work with others, I want to be able to say why a particular notebook called to me. I was inspired to do that after reading Chapter 1 of Aimee Buckner's Notebook Know-How and her story of Chance's notebook.

I've read this book before - but all by myself. Now I will be participating (or lurking) in a book study online with a RealWriter's Yahoo Group that I have belonged to for quite some time. It helps me to read and reflect with others, I am a better reader that way. And I am hoping this helps me to become a better writer.

I am also wondering how I can use Treasure Books with the district that I work in two days a week. I will be leading the Literacy strand of our professional development days but they have been shortened this year from three days to two because of a regional event. And - these aren't always the folks who are the most open to the idea of reading/writing in the classroom. But I think that I can hook a couple - it's finding how to start....

3 comments:

Jennifer Borgioli Binis said...

What is a treasure book? An extra special writer's notebook?

Unknown said...

Whoops! Sorry! I am calling writer's notebooks Treasure Books now after reading Primarily Writing. I love the name because of everything it mean - that those nuggets of things we jot in our notebooks are treasures for us to mine in writing, that our memories or moments that we record are treasures, and on and on an on. I thought I had blogged about it before but things are starting to blend together....

Anonymous said...

Theresa, I love your term "Treasure Book" for a writers notebook. I ask my class to write in a journal every night and this year's class has already prompted a discussion of diaries being for girs and journals are for boys. Calling it a Treasure Book may take care of the stigma they have attached to each.

If you are looking for teachers who are open to trying new writing strategies in the classroom...I am game!